I made my usual Saturday morning trip to the Union Square Greenmarket today. Everything looked so good this morning. Peaches are finally widely available and there were lots more heirloom tomatoes available this morning than last week.
For the record this is what I bought:
- heirloom tomatoes - very tasty
- peaches - not quite ripe, may need to cook something with them (see blueberries below)
- frying peppers
- rosemary - impulse purchase, not sure why other than I like the smell
- purple carrots - because they're purple
- blueberries - may make blueberry-peach cobbler
- small watermelon - about to be sampled
You can keep up with what's available at the market by reading Lucy's Greenmarket Report
Unrelated: The Pro Cycling Tour is in New York tomorrow. Races are downtown and start very early in the morning. I saw the men's race last year so I'm going to the women's race this time. If you've never been to a bike race the riders are incredible athletes and fun to watch. I'm hoping the rain holds off.